So, you’re going to Cuba, huh? You lucky thing! You are sure in for a treat because Cuba is truly one of the most magical and unexplored countries on this planet. In Havana, you’ll find incredible colonial architecture and a party scene that cannot be matched, whilst further afield, you can find some of the very best beaches of the Caribbean, and natural parks that offer up incredible opportunities for hiking, climbing, and cycling.
In this article, we’ll be giving you the low down on:
- The very best things to shove in your pie hole, from street food on the streets of Havana to fancy seafood restaurants
- The best shopping so that you can take a little piece of Cuba back home with you, whether that’s in the form of the best cigar you’ve ever tried, or a bottle of delicious Cuban rum
- Incredible festivals, whether you would like to rock out to Cuban bands in the countryside or you’d prefer a little more sophistication with the Havana Ballet Festival
- The coolest historical and cultural sights that you simply cannot afford to miss from ancient burial sites to incredible fortresses
- The best places to have a few mojitos and party with the local people
- And many more coolness besides! Let’s not waste any more time
Here are the 11 coolest things not to miss in Cuba!
- Discover Cuban History in a Grand Palace If you want to have a real understanding of Cuba, it’s imperative that you have an understanding of the Cuban Revolution, which took place during the 1950s. The best place to learn about this important time in the country’s history is at the Museum of the Revolution in Havana. As well as having the chance to look at some incredible memorabilia from this time, the museum is also housed within the former presidential palace, and it’s extraordinarily beautiful. (AvenidaBélgica, La Habana)
- Cool Down with a Blended Batido When your budget can’t quite stretch to the fourth daiquiri of the day, but you are in desperate need of a frozen treat to cool you down, fear not, because if you head out on to the streets you’ll be able to find plenty of batidos, and these are essentially the Cuban version of a smoothie. You can get them in all different kinds of flavours such as coconut, and lime, but our favourite has to be the sweet guava flavour. Super refreshing.
- Take in a Show at the Gran Teatro de la Habana If you are looking for a reason to get dressed up and enjoy an unforgettable night out in Havana, you absolutely need to know about the Gran Teatro de la Habana, one of the most important theatres in the capital city. The theatre is located in the Galician district of the city, and was originally constructed, in the early 20 th century, to act as a social hub for the Galician community. These days, it’s one of the best places in Havana to take in a ballet show, and the Cuban National Ballet often performs there. (458 Paseo de Martí, La Habana;
- Snorkel in the Sea of Varadero If what you are looking for on your trip to Cuba is beach, you cannot do any better than the gorgeous coastal town of Varadero. This is actually the largest beach resort in all of the Caribbean, making it the ideal place for sun, sand, and endless beach activities. If the days of lying on the beach become tiresome, the good news is that the water is super clear and really ideal for snorkeling and diving expeditions so you can explore the coral and tropical fish beneath the sea.